When Superman and I were engaged, my sister pulled him aside and told him that when my family members needed to wake me up, they would poke me and run. I guess she felt it was her obligation to let Joe in on something that pretty much everybody knows:
I don’t love mornings. (Understatement.)
As an E.R. nurse, I worked the 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. shift, and never really minded it. Late nights have always energized me, and sleeping in the day time was never a problem.
And then life changed.
It’s one thing when there are no obligations or small people in the house to have a leisurely morning of no routine, but it is quite another when the Oompah Loompah’s hit the deck full force no later than 7 a.m. And I don’t know about you, but I really, truly HATE wearing my pajamas all day.
That’s why I am pretty much psyched about Crystal Paine’s 14 day course titled Make Over Your Mornings. She has such a great approach, and I have high hopes that in time I might even be reformed of my night owl ways.
Seriously, I love the way she breaks down each and every component so that you make a custom-fit morning routine that fits you. ‘Cause what works at my house just won’t work at yours, amen?
Here’s what I’m doing differently because of this course (that’s making a BIG difference at our house!)
- Getting a load of laundry set up in the washer the night before. All I do when I come downstairs in the morning is push “start.”
- NOT checking my emails and Facebook first thing. Prayer time, Bible study, and reviewing the day’s priorities come first.
- Setting the coffee pot on automatic brew for my scheduled wake up time. There’s nothing like waking up to the aroma of freshly brewed java to pry this girl out of bed!
In this course, Crystal Paine walks you through identifying what is most important to fit into your morning routine, and how to get there. She talks about the importance of setting yourself up for success the night before, which I love. (In Slaying The Clutter Monster, guest author Mary Colwell mentions this, too.) When I actually implement this magic? It’s…magic.
Most mornings, I actually get up without any poking or prodding or repeated cries of “mama”. Get this: I wake up before the kids do on a regular basis. This is life changing progress from the “poke and run” girl from 7 years ago!
Here’s what is next on my list to implement (hey, I’m a work in progress!)
- Planning out my day the night before. I love the Printable Day Map that I made, but usually don’t fill it out until the actual morning I’m going to be using it. That would be fantastic to change!
- Going to bed earlier. It is SO. STINKIN’. HARD.
- Adding back in my work out time. I was doing great, but life and headaches happened, and I got out of the habit.
If you’re interested in finding out more, Crystal offers the first day’s video for free on her site (just follow the link). I don’t know about you, but I like a chance to preview a potential purchase, so this is a great feature. (And you should know that yes, I am using affiliate links for this – but I would never, ever endorse the course if I didn’t believe in it’s life changing nature. My integrity is worth far more to me than any potential commissions!)
Do you have any before bed rituals or morning routines? Any helpful hints? I love hearing from you! <3