So there’s this beast I wrestle with. Every. Stinkin’. Week. It goes by the unimaginative name of grocery budget. Don’t get me wrong. Superman is a great provider, and God has been incredibly generous with us. But geeze Louise! Diapers and real food gets expensive!
What’s a foodie girl to do? More to the point, what’s a foodie girl with a carnivorous husband to do? ‘Cause let’s get down to brass tacks…meat is especially expensive. And that tofu recipe was a once-in-a-marriage experience that ended with Cheerios for dinner instead.
So, when my fellow foodie friend Carla mentioned a delicious vegetarian recipe, my ears perked up with cautious excitement. Now, the original recipe was for grilled vegetable quesadillas with goat cheese, so modifications were in order.
Firstly, we don’t have a grill. So, roasted veggies it is.
Secondly, for what I am about to say, I apologize in advance. In case you’re one of those
nutcases interesting people that enjoy the flavors of goat cheese.
I loathe the stuff. So nix that, please and thank you.
That leaves us with anything-but-plain Roasted Veggie Quesadillas…so let’s get cookin’!
Start with the veggies. Grab a zucchini and a summer squash and dice ’em up.
Show no mercy to half a red onion. Toss your slaughtered vegetables in a bowl with some sliced mushrooms, and get generous with the oil and kosher salt.
Spread them evenly on a cookie sheet, and roast them at 425° F for 15-20 minutes.
Next, pull out your griddle and get that baby hot!
Now, here’s where you can go gluten free by using corn tortillas…or if you’re like me, you can use regular tortillas. Whatevs.
Begin your delicious little assembly line with this winning lineup:
Pesto shmear. By all means, don’t be shy with the pesto. Mmmmm…
Now cook ’em till they’re toasty, flip ’em with love, and when they’re all melty and delicious…slice and serve!
P.S. Sneaky hint: I like to sweeten this meal up with taco chips and fresh salsa…because, who doesn’t love that? And it kind of distracts from the whole there’s no meat in this issue.
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 zucchini squash
- 8 oz. fresh sliced mushrooms (baby bellas are my favorite!)
- 1/2 red onion
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- 1 jar of your favorite pesto
- 8 oz. grated mozzarella cheese
- 8 - 10 tortillas of your choice (I like the 8" whole wheat ones)
- Cut the squashes, onions, and mushrooms into large bite-size pieces.
- Toss with olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper.
- Spread onto a baking sheet and roast at 425 F for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat frying pan or griddle.
- Assemble quesadillas in this order: tortilla, pesto, cheese, veggies, tortilla.
- Cook until golden, flip to the other side, and remove when piping hot and crispy.
- Cut into wedges and serve with salsa and lots of love! :-)
This site contains affiliate links at no extra cost to you. Thanks in advance for your support!